The selected Fairview Park ordinances below include those areas and issues about which residents commonly inquire. To collect more information about specific ordinances, gather the citations at the end of each section and view our city’s Codified Ordinances.


All vehicles which are “junk” vehicles as defined in Section 1325.01, or which do not carry a current year’s license plate and registration where required by law, shall be stored in a completely enclosed, authorized or permitted building. If an owner, tenant, lessee, or occupant fails to store an abandoned or “junk” vehicle within 15 days after receiving written notice, the vehicle may be removed and impounded until lawfully claimed or disposed of in accordance with the provisions of Sections 307.02(c), (d) and (e).
[C.O. Sections 1325.03(c); 1347.02(a); and 1347.02(b)(7)]


No person shall park any motor vehicle on the streets of the City between 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM. If special temporary conditions require that a vehicle be left on the street between the hours of 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM, call the Police Department at 440-333-1234 and request parking permission. The dispatcher will need your name, address, phone number, license number, and a description of the car.
[C.O. Section 351.16]


A building permit must be obtained from the Building Department before excavation, upgrading, construction, alteration, repair, moving, or demolition of a dwelling, commercial, or accessory structure begins. Separate permits must be obtained for electrical work, plumbing work, and heating and air conditioning. The permit allows the required inspections for the owner’s assurance that all work is done properly and in accordance with all codes. Contact the Building Department at 440-356-4405 for further information on obtaining a permit and what permits are required
[C.O. Chapter 1307]


All contractors who work within the limits of the City are required to register themselves with the Building Department. The registration of contractors must be completed and approved by the Building Commissioner before any permits will be issued. Contact the Building Department at 440-356-4405 with questions or for a list of registered contractors.
[C.O. Chapter 1305]

  • Under 13 years of age: 10:00 PM to 5:00 AM;
  • 13 to 15 years of age: 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM;
  • 16 to 17 years of age: 12:00 AM to 5:00 AM Monday through Friday, 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM on Saturday and Sunday

[C.O. Section 509.16(a)]


Pets, such as dogs and cats, must be contained on your own property or be on a leash; they are not permitted to roam the streets. Excessive barking, howling, and yelping by any animal is prohibited. No more than two dogs, excluding puppies not over three months old, may be kept in any single dwelling.

Please take note of the following rules that will be in effect as we welcome your furry friends:
  • Dogs must be on a leash no more than 6 feet long and must wear a collar/harness specifically made or manufactured for their size and strength
  • Dogs must be under control of a person who possesses discretion and physical strength to exercise restraint and control to the animal’s weight, size and strength
  • Persons walking a dog on paved paths shall yield to any and all traffic on the paths without dogs and obey any other rules related to traffic on paved paths posted at the park
  • Dogs are prohibited from the following areas within city parks:
    • Playground equipment and 30 feet immediately surrounding
    • Designated athletic areas while in use (soccer/baseball/football fields, tennis/basketball courts, etc.)
    • Within 30 feet of splash pad and pavilion area of Morton Park and Nelson Russ Park
    • Waste shall promptly be cleaned up and placed in the receptacles provided
Violation(s) are subject to fine/penalty of a minor misdemeanor.

[C.O. Sections 505.01; 505.02(b); 505.08; and 505.10]


The City of Fairview Park has a 2.0% City Income Tax with a 75% credit for City tax paid to other cities with a maximum credit of 1.25%. Every resident 18 years of age or older must file an annual City tax return plus a Declaration of Estimated Income Tax and make quarterly payments totaling at least 80% of the tax due by January 31 prior to the April 30th deadline for the filing year.
[C.O. Chapter 173]


Between the hours of 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM, no person shall operate, cause to be operated, or permit on private property any source of sound that creates a sound level on the receiving land exceeding 60 decibels, or the equivalent of a conversation taking place a distance of one foot away. Between the hours of 9:00 PM and 8:00 AM, the sound level shall not exceed 50 decibels, or the equivalent of normal noise one would hear in an office setting.
[C.O. Section 557.04(a)]


It is unlawful to park a motor vehicle in your front yard.
[C.O. Section 351.21]


The Codified Ordinances of the City of Fairview Park provide for an Exterior Property Maintenance Code that specifies the duties and responsibilities of the owner, operator, or occupant of both commercial and residential properties. For more information, call the Building Department at 440-356-4405.
[C.O. Chapters 1343 and 1345]


Boats, campers, and other recreational vehicles may not be permanently parked in City driveways. Owners may park such vehicles in backyards only after obtaining a permit from the Building Department. Owners have up to five 48-hour periods per calendar year for the purpose of loading or unloading with approval from the Building Commissioner, or for 12 hours total without approval. Call the Building Department at 440-356-4405 for more information or to obtain a permit.
[C.O. Section 1117.07]


No rubbish or recycling receptacles should be visible from the street or side property line if a corner lot, or be placed out on the tree lawn or curb before 5 PM the day before collection is to take place. Receptacles should be promptly returned to storage after collection.
[C.O. Sections 521.05(c); 1325.05(b)]


Our city has a sign ordinance that regulates the location, type, height, number, and size of signs within Fairview Park. An approval from the Planning & Design Commission and a permit from the Building Department must be obtained before any sign can be erected. Posting signs on telephone and other utility poles or on the public right-of-way (tree lawns) in the City is prohibited by code. Please contact the Building Department at 440-356-4405 before installing any signage to find out what specific regulations apply.
[C.O. Chapter 1145]


A snow emergency parking ban shall go into effect when there exists two inches or more of accumulated snow within the City. At that time, the parking of vehicles on any City street is prohibited.
[C.O. Section 351.17]