What day is collection day?
In the City of Fairview Park, collection day for all homes is Monday.

How do I set out the carts?
Place the carts on the side of the driveway approximately 3 feet from the curb with the arrows facing the street and at least three feet apart or on opposite sides of the driveway from each other.

When do I set out the carts?
Carts may be set out any time after 5:00 PM on the day before your collection day or by 7:00 AM on collection day. Carts must be removed from the curb within 12 hours after collection and cannot be visible from the street per city ordinances.

What materials should I put in the green cart?
Cardboard, newspapers, junk mail, magazines, cereal boxes, glass bottles and jars, aluminum and steel cans and plastics. Place all items LOOSE in the cart. Do not bag the materials placed in the green recycling cart.

What materials should I NOT put in the green cart?
Window glass, light bulbs, drinking glasses, mirrors or ceramics and plastic containers or boxes that are contaminated i.e., motor oil, antifreeze, pesticide and herbicide containers and those with food. Place the items listed above in trash container.

What materials should I put in the blue cart?
All household garbage and trash that will fit in the cart with the lid closed. Household garbage should be bagged in order to keep the cans as clean as possible.

What materials should I not put in the blue cart?
Hazardous waste, paint, chemicals, motor oil, liquids, dead animals, hot ashes, large car parts, tires or car batteries.  Small amounts of debris like plaster, dirt and drywall are acceptable. The Fairview Park Service Department now collects these materials on a monthly basis. You may drop off household hazardous waste on special collection days, typically held twice per year in the spring and fall behind City Hall. During these special collections, you may drop off items such as small electronics, computer equipment, small electrical appliances, phone books, as well as household hazardous waste. Accepted household waste items include oil or solvent-based paint only, sealers, primers or coatings (aerosols or liquids), varnishes, polyurethanes, shellacs, paint thinner, mineral spirits, turpentine, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, caustic household cleaners, pool chemicals, automotive fluids, motor oil, car batteries, adhesives, roof tar, driveway sealer, kerosene, gasoline, lighter fluid, mercury, and fluorescent bulbs.  Please note – items not accepted: NO LATEX PAINT; medical waste, pharmaceuticals, medicine, sharps, no tires. No containers will be returned. Please call the Service Department at 440-356-4410 for disposal guidelines for these items.

What do I do with my yard waste?
Separate yard waste collection will take place from mid-April through late November on your regular pickup day. Grass clippings and other yard waste should be placed in brown paper yard waste bags not to exceed 40 lbs., or residents may also place yard waste loose in their own trash cans marked “yard waste.” Small branches must be cut and bundled not to exceed 3 feet in length or 40 lbs. and should be placed next to yard waste bags or cans.  Should you have yard waste during the winter season without weekly collection, you may place yard waste in your blue rubbish cart for pick up on regular collection days or you may use plastic bags and place them curbside on Bulk Day (the third Monday of each month.)

What if I have more trash than will fit in the Cart?
In addition to separating your yard waste from the trash, most household’s garbage and trash will fit easily in the cart provided as long as you are taking full advantage of the green recycle cart.

What do I do with my old unwanted household furniture and miscellaneous household junk, appliances etc.?
Bulk items such as household furniture, appliances and miscellaneous unwanted household items can be placed at the curb on your regular collection day on the third Monday of the month. Remember that when placing an old refrigerator at the curb the doors must be removed and placed next to the refrigerator.

What if my cart is damaged or stolen?
Contact Republic Services at 1-800-433-1309 for replacement details.

What if the garbage truck damages the container?
Republic Services will repair or replace it free of charge.

Who owns the carts?
Republic Services maintains ownership of the carts and should the home owner move the carts should be left at the house.

What about parked cars?
The automated truck arm has a reach of 6 feet. The arm requires 3′ clearance around the cart for the lifting mechanism to work properly. Cars parked too close or directly in front of the container will inhibit collection.

Is there anything that Republic does not collect from the curb?
Tires, motor oil, liquids, oil-based paint, contractor debris or loose materials (not packaged or contained properly.) Disposal of some of these household items is available at our special recycling collections held twice per year (spring and fall.)  Contact the Fairview Park Service Department at 440-356-4410 if you have questions about any items. You may also call Republic Services for additional disposal information at 1-800-433-1309. You may also visit the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District website for additional information about reducing, reusing or recycling items.

What holidays affect rubbish and recycling collection?
New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.